Jets & Aaron Rodgers Agree to Part Ways

The Jets met with Aaron Rodgers last week and informed him that they plan to move forward without him.

"Last week, we met with Aaron and informed him of our intention to move in a different direction at quarterback," Head Coach Robert Saleh and General Manager Joe Douglas said in a statement released by the team. "It was important to have this discussion now to provide clarity and enable each of us the proper time to plan for our respective futures."

Rodgers, who is currently recovering from a torn Achilles tendon, missed nearly the entire 2023 season after suffering the injury on his first drive in Week 1.

"I want to personally thank Aaron for his time with the New York Jets," Chairman Woody Johnson said in a statement, expressing his gratitude. "His arrival in 2023 was met with unbridled excitement, and I will forever be grateful that he chose to join us to continue his Hall of Fame career."

Rodgers was acquired in a trade from the Green Bay Packers, finalized on April 26, 2023. His presence, combined with a strong Jets defense and a talented young core on offense, brought optimism to the franchise.

Reflecting on his time with the team, Rodgers said, "There’s something special about playing in this city, for a team with such a storied franchise. Going all the way back to Super Bowl III, being part of something special here would have meant a lot to me."

As the franchise turns the page, the Jets will reset with a new quarterback, an overhauled coaching staff, and a fresh offensive approach under new coordinator Tanner Engstrand. This new era represents not just change but also an opportunity to build a competitive team capable of reigniting excitement among the fan base.